It is June and this Mama is already hot! So, to cool down I eat gelato. No, I am not fancy pants…I just like the ultra rich flavors of gelato. Think of it as ice cream on crack. Strong bossy flavors!
Check out my recipes for Bossy Chocolate with Sea Salt Gelato as well as my Vanilla Dream in next month’s Slice magazine! I have to say that I am thrilled with the beautiful photography of the uber-talented Carli Wentworth! She took my delicious gelato and made it look awesome!!
- 4 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 3/4 c sugar
- 2 1/2 c whole milk
- 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
- 3.5 oz bittersweet chocolate, cut into bits
- 7 T cocoa powder
- 1/4 t salt
- Ghirardelli Dark Sea Salt Soiree bar, cut into small bits
- In a medium-sized bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar on high until fluffy and light golden yellow. This takes 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
- Over medium heat, warm milk and cream in a medium saucepan just until bubbles appear around the outside edge. Do not boil. Remove the milk from the heat once the bubbles appear. While milk is warming, melt the bittersweet chocolate in the microwave until smooth. Slowly stir about 1/2 cup of the warm milk mixture into the egg mixture and whisk rapidly. Slowly add more remaining mixture to the eggs, whisking continuously until it’s completely combined with the sugar mixture. Add in the cocoa powder and melted bittersweet chocolate. Return mixture to the saucepan and heat until it thickens enough that you can run your finger down the back of the wooden spoon and see your track. Remove from heat and pour custard through a fine mesh colander into a bowl. Cover the custard with a thin sheet of plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- To freeze: Place chilled custard into your ice cream maker’s bowl and freeze according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Add the candy bar bits 5 minutes before the gelato is finished chilling. Remove from the freezer container and place into an airtight plastic container and freeze for 2 hours before serving.